Monday, April 5, 2010

Cultures Past and Present

This was my entry into the Texas Museum of Fiber Art exhibit. Sadly, it did not get accepted but it was fun to make and I experimented with some new techniques. Oh well, on to the the next one.

This is a close up of my interpretation of pictographs I have seen in caves in Val Verde county that were painted over 7000 years ago. They are machine and hand embroidered on silk fabric, layered on hand dyed and hand painted fabric.

The lower picture shows fabric weaving using hand dyed silk (upper left) and below that machine stitched symbols of our different beliefs.

The faces were machine stitched on silk fabric(sorry the photo is dark). Details were done with a micron pen. Strips of fabric were torn and cut then attached to wrapped pipe cleaners.
The hanging cord was painted then wrapped and knotted with yarns and threads.

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

Wow, love what you did here. One of your best! Great job Lana!

Lana's Threads and Musings said...

Thanks Yvonne. You always cheer me up. I always enjoy visiting your blog. It inspires me.

Denise Aumick said...

This piece has so many interesting things going on in it. I really like how you interpreted your inspirations!

Lana's Threads and Musings said...

Thank you for your comment, Denise. I always enjoy getting comments on my posts and seeing what others think about my work.

Martha Tsihlas said...

Hi Lana, thank you for following my blog. The book you mentioned, about weaving (I forgot the name) is really good and easy to follow. It really got me inspired to do Margarita and Deconstructed I and New Beginning.Photos in my blog. Anyway, I hope to come and visit your area sometime soon. Take care...

Lana's Threads and Musings said...

Thanks Martha, I do enjoy your blog and seeing all your creations. Hope you can make it to this area soon.