Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's On My Mind


I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. When I was in nursing school studying functions of the brain I was fascinated by how intricate and complex the system is with it's communication to the rest of the body. Weird, I know! The background fabric reminds me of brain synapse. I cut the silhouette of the head from felt and hand embroidered it. The small brain scans I found on the Internet and photo transferred them to hand dyed fabric. The piece is machine quilted, hand felted and hand embroidered. It is mounted on a commercial canvas. UPDATE: This piece was just accepted into the Fiber Artists of San Antonio 2009 annual exhibition.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

When I clicked on the photo to enlarge it and I really saw the detail of what you did I was loving it! It looks fantastic. It is so clever.

Yvonne said...

I nominated you for one of the 7 Kreativ Blogger Awards on my blog. Go check it out.