Sunday, May 30, 2010

Paper Cloth Piece



I titled this Paper Cloth Piece because I haven't given it an official name yet. I just finished it yesterday and was really pleased with the results. I count this as my first "successful" paper cloth art. I had tried doing paper cloth before but it always came out stiff and not to my liking at all. This time I used a different glue / water mixture which made the paper cloth soft and pliable. I used tissue paper, napkins and painted coffee filters glued to muslin then machine stitched. I love working with tissue paper and napkins because there are so many colors and designs to choose from. It is soft enough that it left a interesting texture when applied with the glue mixture to the cloth.

Above is a close up. The door and windows are copyright free images that I manipulated in photo shop and printed on cloth. I then used watercolor pencils and gel pens to enhance the colors. To add some depth I cut the paper cloth the size of the door and windows and glued the fabric behind that.
Now that I feel I have mastered the paper cloth construction I want to make more. It was really fun.

6 comments:

Debbie Geistweidt said...

I love this piece! You have done an outstanding job.

Unknown said...

I love your new work and can't wait to see it in person. Seeing the photos I'm sure is only a hint of the real beauty.
Keep up that creativity!

Lana's Threads and Musings said...

Thank you both for those kind comments. It is always inspiring for me to receive feedback from like minded artists.

Yvonne said...

Love it Lana! It looks so 3D. The colors are wonderful! Great job!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Love the colors, nicely done!

JW said...

Wow, this is really beautiful, looks like there are layers of love put into it. The colors and texture are mesmerizing.

Maybe you would be interested in sharing/linking up your work at http://dayeseye.typepad.com/art_every_day/

just looking to build a community of creative minds!