Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Musings

I just finished reading Wisdom of the Ages, 60 Days of Enlightenment by Wayne Dyer. Taken from the inside book flap it says," It is a group of essays that focuses on a collection of writings, poems, and sayings by some of the greatest thinkers of the past twenty-five centuries. He sets out to explain the meaning and context of each piece of wisdom, and, most important, how we can actively apply these teachings to our modern lives."

In the section on Nonconformity he quotes from Walden, by Henry David Thoreau,"If man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away."


Dyer states in this essay, "The beat that you hear within yourself is your connection to your soul's purpose. It will continue to plague you when you ignore it or suppress it in an attempt to conform with society. If you continue to ignore it, you will live a life of frustration. You may even learn to "suffer in comfort", which is the very best you'll be able to achieve."

Again he says, "Walk with Thoreau in your own mind. Listen to the voice you hear, and the drumbeat only you can feel, and honor it, while honoring it in those you love as well. While it may not get you any awards while you are alive, you can take comfort in knowing that you fulfilled your own divine purpose and encouraged others to do the same."

There have been times in my life when I ignored my own drumbeat and made decisions about my life based on what I thought others wanted me to do, to fit in, to be accepted, to not appear weird. Those I regret. Now that I'am older, I don't think I do that too much, I hope.

If you like thoughtful essays, you will like this book.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Wonderful post Lana. I must read that book. I have listened to Dyer on PBS many times and have read several of his books. Very wise.

Lois said...

Dyer is one of my "hero" persons too .....

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent information I was looking for this info for my mission.
PDO Threads
thread lift
thread face lift
face thread lift
thread lift face
thread lift treatment
thread lift for face
thread lift procedure
non surgical thread face lift
skin threading face lift
neck thread lift
facelift with thread
thread neck lift
threading for face lift
fine thread lifting
thread lift neck
thread nose lift
non surgical facelift threading
thread lift surgery
polydioxanone thread lift
face lifting with threads
facelift by threading
non surgical thread lift
golden thread face lift
face lift thread facelift
nova lift face lift